Traditional treatment of patellofemoral pain (PFP) has been based on the premise that abnormal patellar tracking and/or malalignment is the primary cause of symptoms. While this theory may hold true in some instances, it is not always the case. In fact, the true etiology of PFP remains somewhat controversial… until now.
Research conducted by Dr. Christopher Powers at the University of Southern California has suggested that abnormal patellar tracking may be the result of excessive internal rotation of the femur (i.e. the femur moving under the patella). 1dj Ortho has worked with Dr. Powers to create a brace that treats the patient’s condition at the source…the hip. The S.E.R.F. Strap™ stabilizes the patellofemoral joint and reduces pain through external rotation of the femur.
The DonJoy S.E.R.F Strap™ is the first patellofemoral brace designed to treat PFP stemming from abnormal hip motion(s). If you suspect that your patient’s PFP is related to poor proximal control, the S.E.R.F Strap™ is the right choice. The S.E.R.F. Strap™ can be used to control abnormal hip motion during leisure/sport activities and can be used as a training tool in the clinic.
The DonJoy S. E. R. F. Strap = Stability thru External Rotation of the Femur Indications
- Patellofemoral or anterior knee pain resulting from excessive hip internal rotation, adduction, and/or knee valgus
- Chronic lower extremity conditions resulting from abnormal hip motion(s) and/or poor proximal control
Features and Benefits:
- Unique 3-point hip-leg anchor reduces PFP by externally rotating the hip
- Thin Breathe-O-Prene
- Contoured design limits migration during activity
- Re-Application markers for easy re-application and improved patient compliance
- 6 month warranty
Small Right and Small Left – Height 147-167cm; Weight 41-66kg
Medium Right and Medium Left – Height 170-177cm+; Weight 66-88kg
Large Right and Large Left – Height 147-177cm+; Weight 88-91kg+